L&Q Group | Leading Housing Association & Residential Developer

I am trying to buy my home through the Right to Acquire or Right to Buy scheme. My building is under 18 metres at tall, but my lender is asking for an EWS1 form, what should I do?

If a mortgage lender is asking for an EWS1 form for a building under 18 metres in height they must let you know why, and specify exactly what their concern is (for example: ‘We think that you may have combustible cladding on your balcony’). If they have provided this detail, please contact your Property Manager for information about the next steps. If they haven’t you should query this with them in the first instance.

We suggest you do this by sending them the following in your response:

Based on the guidance provided by RICS on their website (https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight/latest-news/fire-safety/cladding-qa) not every building will require an EWS1 form – only those with some form of combustible material, making them unsafe, or, for example, combustible material on balconies. For buildings such as mine which are below the 18 metre threshold there must be a ‘specific concern’ for an EWS1 to be required.

This guidance also goes on to state that lenders should “should always have a rationale to justify the request for the EWS1”. 

Your request does not include a clear rationale. Please can you provide this or confirm that you will not require this form to be provided.

Did this answer your question?

Yes No

Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry you didn't find this answer useful. Please tell us why this was the case so we can improve our response.

We can't reply to your feedback so please don't include any personal details.